Bobby Martin Young Songwriters Competition Rules
- The BMYSC is open to songwriters who are 20 years of age and younger on the date of the Competition (September 23, 2017) Any entrant that is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of legal residence will be required to obtain and submit written permission from their parent or legal guardian to participate in the competition. Employees of Heart of Folk, LLC, Spectrum Hospitality, their families, subsidiaries and affiliates are not eligible.
- For the purpose of the competition, a song must have both original lyrics and original music. All submitted songs must be original, unpublished (or self-published) songs that have been written or co-written by the entrant(s). For the purpose of the competition, an unpublished song is defined as being recorded and self-released by the entrant(s) and /or not co-published by a commercially active, third party music publisher.
- Co-writers are subject to the same eligibility criteria.
- Past winners or co-winners of the BMYSC are not eligible to enter the contest. All other previous entrants, including past finalists, are eligible.
- Artists from anywhere in the world are welcome to enter. However, all finalists selected to perform in the live competition at Carolina in the Fall on Saturday, September 23, 2017 must pay for their own travel and lodging expenses.
- Each entry must be an original musical composition for which the contestant retains the copyright and authority to submit and perform the composition in the contest. Payment for each composition entered in the contest must be made at the time of submission. HOF, LLC is not responsible and disclaims any liability for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, or misappropriated entries or for any errors in online submissions, including, but not limited to unsuccessful file uploads. Materials submitted will not be returned and Heart of Folk, LLC reserves the right to dispose of all submitted material in any manner.
- There is no limit to the number of songs you can submit.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Download the BMYSC Official Entry Form, (one form for each song submitted), complete the form. Mail form/ forms with check to:
Heart of Folk, LLC,
1305 South Collegiate Drive,
Wilkesboro, NC 28697
NOTIFICATIONS & WAIVERS
- All ten finalists will be notified by email and each winner must provide the following items to be eligible to compete in the contest finals:
- an affidavit confirming that the winner meets the contest eligibility requirements, that his or her composition is original and unpublished, and that he or she owns the copyright in the composition;
- a publicity release (collectively, the “Affidavit”). Affidavits for winners under 18 years of age at the time of submission must be countersigned by a parent or legal guardian. All Affidavits are subject to verification by HOF, LLC and its agents. Each contestant’s submission constitutes his or her permission to use his or her name, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional consideration.
***HOF, LLC retains the exclusive right to use in perpetuity any media inclusive of ancillary rights created in conjunction with the BMYSC including but not limited to; live audio recordings, interviews, video, webisodes, and photographs. Participants grant Heart of Folk, LLC the use of this archival material in perpetuity. ***
- From all submitted entries, a total of ten (10) finalists will be selected to perform in the BMYSC live performance showcase and competition, held on Saturday, September 23, 2017 at the Great State Stage in Downtown Wilkesboro. Selected Finalists shall arrive at the Great State Stage by 8:30 AM for Rule review and registration. The Competition will begin promptly at 9:00 AM. Any contestant that is not registered by 8:30 AM will not be allowed to participate.
- This contest is void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local laws, regulations, rules, and ordinances apply.
- Entries must be unpublished or self-published, original songs.
- Recorded submissions are not subject to a time limit.
- The song MUST be performed and sung by the song contest entrant. Songs that have been recorded with more than one backing musician can be submitted — for example, sending in a cut from a CD with multiple players. But remember, should you advance and perform live, you will only be allowed one backing musician on stage. This accompanist may play an instrument(s) and/or sing backup.
- Co-written songs may be submitted, but the person who enters the song must be the one who is the lead singer of the tune.
- IMPORTANT POINT: Though co-writers will be acknowledged, only the performer of the tune can qualify to win a prize.
EXPLANATION OF RIGHTS
- The writer(s) retains all rights to submitted songs.
- Winner retains all publishing rights for song recorded for the grand prize, to be recorded and mixed @ Double Time Music Studios in Wilkesboro, NC.
LIVE PERFORMANCE SHOWCASE AND COMPETITION
- On stage at the Bobby Martin Young Songwriter’s Competition at Carolina in the Fall in Wilkesboro on Saturday, September 23, 2017, a single accompanist may sing along with you, play an instrument, or both.
- All finalists chosen to perform in the live performance finals must pay for their own travel to and from the event. Each entrant will receive 1 one day pass for the festival for the day of the competition.
- The BMYSC is a songwriting competition. As such, all finalists in the Showcase and Competition will be judged solely on the song being performed.
- The format for the BMYSC is as follows: each of the ten finalists will perform the original song previously selected by the judges, in front of a panel of judges and a live audience. Three finalists will then be selected to perform in the second ‘Award Round,’ and these three finalists will then perform the same song a second time. From these three, this year’s grand prize winner will be selected.
THE GRAND PRIZE
- The grand prize winner is responsible for his or her own travel to the recording of the grand prize single in Wilkesboro, NC. Date of session shall be coordinated with the Kruger Brothers and will be at a convenient time as they tour continuously.
- A Cash Prize of $200.00
- A Bobby Martin Young Songwriters Competition Champions Trophy.
- Additionally, the second and third place finishers will receive cash prizes of $100.00 (Second Place) and $50.00 (Third Place).
NEED MORE HELP?
- Please re-read the rules again and if you remain befuddled on a point, use the contact form below.